It has been a hard few days here at the sanctuary.
We discovered that Roberta's knee bones have been
pulled apart by the infection in her leg and it has
seeped into her bones. Our vet has to try to find a
way to operate and pin the bones together in lieu of
amputation. I'm very worried...
We ran out and rescued three young geese from a
lake. Someone moved away and left their Pilgrim
gander and Embden goose behind. They had 5 babies in
spring. One girl was predated. One boy is very ill.
We ran out and caught the boy and 2 of his sisters
since we have a home waiting for two hens. It was so
hard taking these babies away from their family, but
we will ensure that we remove them in groups, so
that no one is left alone. After adopting the 2
girls, I am torn as to whether we should take the
other young boy, leaving the parents behind until we
have room, or whether I should take the mother to
ensure no more goslings hatch out next spring. A
very difficult decision. We think someone at the
lake might build a pen and house them temporarily
until we can fit them, which would be an amazing
help since we are out of space.
We named the sick gander Egor and took him to the
vet yesterday morning. Since his neck is messed up,
we were pleased to find no broken bones and nothing
lodged in his throat. Limp neck is a sign of
botulism and lead poisoning though, so blood work
followed the x-rays. Back and forth to the vet for
drop-offs, pick-ups, appointments for Egor and
Roberta, and getting their medications... the day
tallied out at over $600 for both, near $500 for
Egor. I suspect Berty's surgery is going to be
really expensive and am worried. But... we'll do
what we need to do.
After finally arriving home at 7 p.m. and taking
care of the ducks and geese and then tucking them in
at 8 p.m., I finally sat down for breakfast... first
meal of the day. Went to bed early, but then Isabel
woke up with a 24 hour bug and I pulled an
all-nighter taking care of her. Up again early
today... I need a nap...
Flock of six