I have been
keeping everyone updated on Rio's health on Facebook
and so many well-wishes have come through. I really
thought I would get him through this. I've set
everything else aside to focus everything I have on
him--on his getting well, but it isn't working.
He grew stronger
during the first week of syringe feeding and we
really thought he was pulling through, but as I
feared, it was just going from not eating to having
food put into him that helped him to feel better.
The root cause of this appears to be renal (kidney)
failure. His legs are visibly more yellow in color
than Moon's mauve legs--and they used to have the
same color legs. His bill is more yellow too. He
still has diarrhea... nothing has helped. He drinks
non-stop to try to stay hydrated, which isn't
working and why we have to hydrate him via catheter
and sub-c fluids.
He's at the point
now where he sinks a little more every day. He no
longer stands--and can barely stand up while I feed
him. He has been unstable on his legs since early on
in this battle. The vet hoped it was dehydration and
we could remedy it, but it is a symptom of renal
failure. While we don't believe he has zinc
poisoning (clear x-ray), his zinc results won't come
back until tomorrow, but honestly... we couldn't get
our hands on his treatment until Friday if it were
zinc and I don't know that he would make it that
long, nor do I think he's strong enough to tolerate
So I'm at this
fork in the road... do I ease him over today... or
do I wait for the zinc results to confirm it is
negative and that it is definitely renal failure.
Why wait? If on some offhand chance it is zinc, I
don't think he can handle the treatment anyway, but
should I give him that 1% chance? Or would that just
mean more pain and suffering for him?
I have to let him
My God... how am I
going to handle this... Moon will need to come
along, so that he understands his 10 year old
brother and lifetime friend has left us, so that he
doesn't believe I took him away. He needs to
understand. But how will I handle hearing his
screams when they come? How will I help him through
How can we have
Duran Duran with only one Duran?
My poor babies...
Duran Rio (left)
and Duran Moon (right)
Just came home
from letting Rio go. His zinc test, as expected, was
negative. In renal failure, we let him go as
planned. Moon was by his side standing over him
throughout and while I eased Rio over, I embraced
Moon and he draped his neck over my shoulders and we
just held each other.
I thought he might
call out and cry, but instead his pain ran so deep
he could only open his bill... like when your tears
choke so much you can't make a sound. There was no
doubt he understood everything that was going on. I
gave him some time and then asked the vet to take
Rio away. I wanted Rio to leave us and not Moon to
I loaded him into
his carrier and brought him to the car. He cried a
half dozen times as we pulled out of the parking lot
and then fell silent.
I brought him
home... outside... where he hasn't been since Rio
became ill two weeks ago. The sun was shining. I
gave him a bucket of water and a bowl of food and he
ate and drank and then sunk down to the ground. He
bathed while sitting and after about 15 minutes,
found his legs again and stood up. He walked around
the little barn and over to the two houses where he
and Rio always slept. He checked inside them and
then looked behind them and then came back over to
baby... He's not there..."
He's letting me
pet him and reassure him, but he is so sad... he's
letting his wings droop in depression.
So I ran out to
the store and brought him watermelon and lettuce. I
made a promise to Rio that I would take care of his
Moon-Moon and I am not going to let him down.