Majestic Waterfowl Sanctuary, 17 Barker Road, Lebanon, CT, 06249

Search this website:

Donate Now!

Need our help?

Visit us at

View our Winner's Circle!

Newsletter Archives

Adoption FAQ

Majestic Diary

February 8, 2013

Blizzard: Nemo

10:00 a.m.

So far just a dusting... could it just stay that way??? We went out and topped off everyone's food dishes and changed out their water buckets. Now we wait... and pray it won't be as bad and we won't get as much snow as they've been predicting. If we stop answering emails and posts, it means we've lost power/internet. If you have a duck or goose emergency and you're one of our dear friends, please call us on our home phone. If we don't answer, we're just out in the barn, but we'll be back eventually!

4:00 p.m.

We just removed the first two inches of snow from the nets, fencing, houses, gates, etc. How many more times do we need to go out there before this stops?! It is a very wet and heavy snow... the worst kind. Very sticky...

5:30 p.m.

Okay... they say that the worst part is now upon us and will continue for the next couple of hours. We'll be heading out every 30 minutes because we're expecting 3 inches an hour now...

7:00 p.m.

Holy smokes... we were just out there for an hour and about 6 inches fell while we were there. We came in for a quick break to toss our coats into the dryer. Rotating shifts going forward. Tony and I will each take 30 minutes out and 30 minutes in. Isabel goes with me to hold the flashlight (she thinks this is fun!!! WHAT?! Kids...). About to juice a veggie energy drink to get me through the next trip out. Only 7 more hours of really bad snow, eh? Lord help me...

8:15 p.m.

Just got back in from our 30 minute shift. By the time we dug out all the paths to houses and buckets, the first paths filled up again. Tony is out clearing the top beams and electric fencing now. Isabel and I just chucked our clothes back in the dryer and we'll go back out at 8:38. Why does this feel like a losing battle...

9:24 p.m.

Just came in after nearly an hour of clearing... so much snow... so much snow... there's no place to shovel it to anymore... and we have to get on the roof of Louisville and get the snow off. Please send prayers now... we need them... on the brink of collapse...

10:00 p.m.

We're officially half way through "the worst part" ... Another foot of snow to come, they say. We have two feet now.

10:30 p.m.

I looked at Rilo in the middle of the snowstorm and said, "See how much I love you? Well, I love you EVEN more!"

11:30 p.m.

We spent an hour and a half cleaning off the roof of Louisville and the quarantine pen. Plus shoveling and clearing the elec fence again. Every muscle that isn't frozen is cramped or aching. THE PAIN...




Go to next page

Go to Diary Calendar

Go back to Membership Page



Majestic Waterfowl Sanctuary 2013


Web Design 2005 Abby L. Garcia
Contact Webmaster