Yesterday morning when I was letting the gang out of
the barn, Alice stopped halfway and wouldn't walk
any further. I thought she was startled because the
rain FINALLY came and filled the Courtyard pond
again. Ducks can react this way to big changes in
their pen, so I just carried her down and she went
swimming with the others.
Last night when I walked everyone up to the barn,
she seemed a little stiff, so I gave her some pain
meds to help her sleep.
I've been checking
on her every couple of hours. Sometimes she seems
fine, other times not quite so... a little off...
She laid a perfect
egg yesterday morning, so it doesn't appear to be an
egg issue. I'm suspecting that this is either a
renal issue (She's drinking a lot of water and
spending most of her time standing right in front of
her water bucket in the barn), or possibly even
peritonitis. In either case, we've already learned,
there is no saving surgery or miracle pill... and
sadly... I worry we may be near the end of our
I have to wait
until Tuesday to bring her in to our vet. Both Dr.
Brown and Dr. Otka's offices are closed until then.
In the meantime, she seems to be hanging in there.
Isabel and I have
been praying for Alice. She assures me everything is
going to be fine and Alice is going to get well--she
insists she knows it. I sat on shore and watched
Alice floating on the pond and saw a thin layer of
yellow-orange light glowing around her. I tried
blinking it away, figuring it was my eyes, but it
didn't leave. It lasted about thirty seconds before
A sign maybe? But
one that she will be well, or one that she will be
I don't know...
I've been checking
on Alice all night and plan to continue until
morning. I've kept her sleepily comfortable and
she's still walking around and an untrained eye
would never know that something's up, but I do. If I
can just keep her going strong until Tuesday, I can
take her to see Dr. Otka and see if there is
anything we can do.