Majestic Waterfowl Sanctuary, 17 Barker Road, Lebanon, CT, 06249

Search this website:


Majestic Diary

March 14, 2009

Well... I had high hopes for today. I started by cleaning up around the sanctuary--all the sticks that have fallen out of trees and onto the ground. Then I was raking and using the wheelbarrow to lug everything away. I had big plans to start setting our new pre-formed pond liners into place (I bought 4 yesterday). And then... it happened... I took a break and started filling buckets and kiddie pools with water. I was in the goose pen and Mac came over and started professing his love to me. I sprayed him with the hose, but he refused to leave and he got more and more worked up.

I finally decided to go back into the duck pen to get my "waddle wand" to shoe him away and when I turned to step away with a start--something popped in the back of my shin and pain shot through it so deep I nearly lost my stomach on the spot, but immediately thought, "Don't throw up in here, the geese will eat it." So I leaned on the fencing and kept filling water buckets with the hose to distract myself. Mac had left to the other side of the pen in a hurry, I guess sensing something was wrong. So I stood there filling water and feeling my stomach rising into my throat and I was so afraid to move my leg because I wasn't sure if it would hurt or not.

I started feeling dizzy and my vision started breaking up, so I thought it best to try to walk--afraid I might pass out in the goose pen and become Mac's lunch. I made it out of the pen, closed the door and everything started tipping upside down and turning black. I grabbed my "waddle wand" and used it as a crutch and made it into the barn. I barely saw Dutch and thought: "Do not pass out here or Dutch will have his way with me." I managed to pull the next door open and close it just enough to keep him on the other side and then down I went into the hay. Blacked out.

I forced myself awake, remembering that the hose was still on and pulled myself up utilizing the kennel railing and shut off the water. Then I walked out of the barn, closed the door behind me and everything began swirling again. I lay down in the grass before passing out, so I wouldn't fall. I just laid there... waiting for Tony to come back outside again after eating. He didn't come, so I stood up and used the "waddle wand" which was still in my hand to get up on my feet and hobble up to the house.

When I made it inside, Tony helped me get my boots off and I flexed my leg all around and found it was not broken, nor did I tear a ligament. But... I can't put any weight on one of the muscles that helps me step forward or point my toes or the pain is searing. I'm suspecting that when I twisted to run out of the goose pen, I might have tore a muscle just below my calve. So much for my plans for the day... ruined. I am so ticked off. I didn't hurt myself lugging tree limbs out of the yard, I hurt myself turning in place. How dumb is that? So now I'm hobbling from here to there, trying to keep it warm because when I sit too long it stiffens right up and hurts even more.

Ay yi yi... a day in sanctuary work... always an adventure. I don't have any photos to insert today. Sorry...

Afterwards I joked with Tony and said, "Thank goodness we don't have the Webbed Cam yet or everyone would have just seen me black out in duck shit. I'm going to take a shower now."

He replied, "Actually Elizabeth probably would have seen it and called me and said: Kim just passed out in the barn--go help her!"


Go to next page

Go to Diary Calendar

Go back to Membership Page


Majestic Waterfowl Sanctuary 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009


Web Design 2005 Abby L. Garcia
Contact Webmaster